To ensure efficient content delivery, most of the learning & development organizations have adopted Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction. With digitization, online learning has come at the vanguard of creating customized e-learning courses for diversified audiences. E-learning helps you learn at your own pace, without any hassle of going anywhere. It helps encourage employees to access more courses, improve their workplace productivity, retention rate and learning efficiency. There are ample methods that are followed during an e-learning process, thereby enabling organizations to choose the best one that caters to their training needs. Here is the list of Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction that helps to design effective online learning courses:
1. Seek maximum learner attention
There is a myriad of ways to grab the attention of learners which include:
- Embed storytelling feature to explain the content in the form of a scenario.
- Include questions so that employees learn to give instant response.
- Incorporate interactive videos at the beginning of the courses to engage more learners.
2. Define the learning objectives
It is significant to inform learners about their training objectives so that they can understand better, the contents of the course. Different methods that define the e-learning course outcomes include:
- Assessing the performance of learners during the overall e-learning program.
- Describing the required performance parameters of different learners.
3. Recall prior knowledge & experience
It allows learners to develop strong skills matrix based on their previous experience and expertise as it is comparatively easier to learn something you know already. Different ways through which it is done includes:
- Including quizzes based on prior learning experience.
- Asking queries from learners to analyze their understanding of the whole concept.
- Asking participants open-ended questions related to their prior knowledge.
4. Deliver the e-learning course
Organizations need to ensure that e-learning courses they impart, cater to the pertinent needs of every learner. For this, several ways are followed so that highly engaging and effective courses are designed:
- Gamification – It is an effective learning strategy in which gaming elements such as scores, points, badges and leader boards are encompassed with e-courses to boost learner interaction and retention.
- Mobile learning – To deliver courses on personalized mobile devices, including tablets and smartphones as per convenience of time and location.
- Storytelling – It helps to narrate the course content like a story to which the learners can relate to their real-life situations.
- Bite-sized content – It is the delivery of content in the form of chunks, which are easier to understand and retain for long.
5. Offer learning guidance
Apart from sharing content online, it is important to share instructions on how to learn. Different methods include:
- Include case studies and analogies based on real-life scenarios.
- To provide instructional support in the form of scaffolds, which can be later removed after learners access the entire content.
6. Elicit performance
In the end, trainers assess performance of individuals based on what they had learnt. For optimal workplace performance, courses are embedded with audios and videos, along with 3D animations that easily engage.
7. Give instant feedbacks
Trainers include various kinds of feedbacks that helps improve learners’ performance:
- Informative feedback – To give suggestions to employees on how they can enhance their workplace productivity.
- Corrective feedback – To acquaint employees about the accuracy in their learning capability during the entire training session.
8. Assess performance
Your organization’s workforce performance can be improved with the increased chances for lucrative e-learning opportunities. When learning goals are clear, assessments are done quickly. It helps to analyze the ability of an individual learner, thereby building a strong competency matrix.
9. Better employee retention
Once employees master new skills and gain expertise in their domains, the chances for employee retention also enhances.
- Engaging videos and high definition animations are incorporated to sustain learning for long.
- Mobile-enabled courses are designed to enable learners access relevant information anytime and anywhere.
Today, the impact of e-learning on employees’ workplace efficiency, job satisfaction, employee performance and organizational commitment has completely changed. So, it has become crucial to embed effective e-learning strategies and take your learning to the next level.