While it is necessary to create induction program that truly reflects the company and what it stands for, it is a continuing challenge for most L&D managers to develop an effective induction program that covers distant geographies and conflicting learners’ schedules, while engaging and retaining their attention – and that too, without a facilitator.
Here are some learning acquired from a successful induction training program, created for a leading MNC in the financial sector.
We adopted the following key approaches while designing the course:
• Introduced a maze game at the beginning, which continues till the end. Learners attempt the maze game to proceed from one stage of the journey to the next. While going through the modules, learners must collect souvenirs as they attempt interactivities and this qualifies them to attempt the maze game.
• Included a Stereoscopic 3D element – in addition to the 2D screens. A few screens including introductory screens are provided with 3D treatment. To cater to learners’ preferences and non-availability of 3D glasses, a toggle option allows switching between 2D and 3D on these screens. The other screens use rich animations and different symbolic modes of transport during travel – a plane for international travel and a hot air balloon for travel within India. The videos of CEO and HODs welcoming the new joinees added to the personal connect.
• Ensured crisp and consolidated on-screen content and providing details as downloadable attachments, which learners can read at their own pace and also download for future reference.
• Easy to use navigation features and post-assessment ensured that hassle free learning is imparted to learners while ensuring reinforcement of learnings through smart questions. User Interface was designed keeping in mind vibrant brand colors of the bank and with the intent to always make the learner feel in control.
• Intermediate Check Your Understanding (CYUs) in the form of Maze game ensured learner progress and retention of learner throughout the course. The game ensured continuous learner interest while Multiple-choice questions with feedback ensured learning reinforcement.
• At the end of course, assessment evaluates learners’ key learnings from the course. A personalized certificate at the end provided as a proof of participation and successful completion of the course. A Print Certificate button on the results screen lets the learner print the certificate with their Name and Employee ID (already captured at the start of the course) with their percentage scored. A Resume Training button lets the learner retake the course if she/he has failed in the assessment.
For our client, the online induction course had many benefits. At the end of organization-wide roll out in India, the outcome indicated that it not only saved them considerable time and money but also helped them in planning for inductions seamlessly and in a uniformly spread-out manner.
• Due to the innovative and interesting media strategies including the 3D element and other engaging elements used in the course, the learner engagement was ensured, thereby resulting in 100% completion rate.
• With the interest that it generated, recruits were encouraged to finish the course in its entirety. Even older employees were excited to know about this new approach and opted to reinforce their knowledge by taking the course.
• With the inclusion of videos playing personalised welcome messages from the CEO and various HODs, recruits felt a greater connect with the organization and the values it inculcated. In addition to the skills required for the job, this connect is as important and greatly influences individual success.
• The intermittent knowledge checks in the maze game helped to assess learner progress and retention. These checks also ensured reinforcement of knowledge at regular intervals. A personalized certificate, with the employee’s details, generated at the end of course assessment gave each learner a proof and symbol of successful completion of the course.
Corporate learning needs to be carefully designed and have to be balanced in approach considering target audience. We at G-Cube believe that by using creative ideas with an apt use of technology, learning solutions can prove to be more fun while being immensely effective. Increase in effectiveness helps ensure long-term profit for any organization, and DBS too looks forward to reaping continued benefits out of this course. Balanced amalgamation of clever yet impactful ID strategies, rich media elements including stereoscopic 3D elements, and inclusion of an assessment bank with smart questions while ensuring all along that the learners are not overwhelmed is a revolutionary idea in an eLearning program that we feel could prove beneficial and generate immense interest and value to learning. These elements, if used, across the learning genre can enhance learning experience, thereby, making it more impactful.
Source and suggested further read: 6 Creative Approaches In Induction Training: An eLearning Perspective