Banking and Financial sector was one of the first adopters of technology-based learning. In an insurance industry, e-learning helps employees keep at par with changing norms and regulations, new products as well as processes in the market alone with regular mandatory compliance trainings.
There are different training’s that can be created for different learning needs within the organization.
- New recruits can be trained on the portfolio of products and gotten up to speed quickly with these training.
- Existing employees can be trained on new markets, products and services that they can be updated on the development within and beyond the organization.
HR and Soft Skills training:
- Selling is a huge part of the insurance industry and there is a continuous process of interaction between employees and prospective clients. They can be trained continually with e-learning interventions.
- Evaluation can also be conducted on a regular basis to ascertain pertinent training needs.
Compliance and Certification:
- Complying with regulatory requirements is crucial for all employees working in the sector. E-learning can provide continuous training support here
- E-learning platforms can also manage training schedule and send reminders of upcoming training events to make sure that employees do not keep behind their mandatory learning requirements.
Our client in the industry is one of the leading insurance providers in India, with an extensive array of products for diverse customer needs. Amidst the competitive environment of the insurance industry, they have made their mark with customer-centric products and a dedicated approach to customer service.
Keeping in mind a fiercely competitive nature of an insurance industry, development time available to for create the training module was only two months. Though this was a very small window, it was also crucial for the client to reach out to their customers within this time frame in order to get the early-entrant advantage and ward off competitors with similar products. Another challenge was the diverse audience profile – different in culture and background. They needed to be trained in their regional languages and the training module needed to have a universal appeal that would bridge barriers of diverse backgrounds and spread-out geographies.
To begin with, our development team created a course in one regional language and approved it with the client. In-house language experts were then employed to re-create the approved course in the rest of the languages. In this manner, our team developed training module for 6 products, each in 8 different languages.
On-site teams were deployed to closely liaison with the client and smoothen out time-management issues.
The course was built with XML codes, to make room for content-updates and changes from time to time. The client’s IT team was apprised on the process of making changes and updating the module.
2D Human figures were introduced in the course who shared information about the company, its background and history, together with the products and their benefits. The element of conversation was prominent through a series of questions and answers that infused the course with human warmth.
Audio supported the on-screen text and transcripts were made available for in-depth study.
Graphical background was developed keeping rural background in mind, so that customers could find a necessary connect with the content.
In addition, a separate version of the module was developed to cater to marketing needs. Length of the course was cut down from 30 minutes to 5 minutes. Audio-voiceovers were changed and animations were introduced to create interest in the mind of the customer.
With dissemination of the training module, client derived several benefits from this solution.
- Multiple courses in different languages were able to cater to the needs of specific markets all across India.
- Provisions for change enabled prolonged use of the module for training purposes.
- Two distinct versions of the module were able to address two distinct needs – training and marketing. With some changes in text and audio, the same course was able to deliver training to the sales team and impart knowledge to prospective customers as well.
- On the whole, the solution saved the client considerable time and moneys through a cheaper mode of delivery, provisions for extended use over a period of time and for distinct organizational purposes.
- Due to strict diligence of time-schedule, client could impart training to their sales team effectively and continuously.
e-Learning is suitable for different industries in different ways, it is best to ascertain the needs of the industry and create e-courses accordingly to ensure learning success.
Source and suggested further reading: Innovative eLearning For The Insurance Industry