Game-based learning is becoming one of the primary training tools in today’s digital environment. Games represent everything that is motivating from rewards and teamwork to fun to achievement. The blend of these benefits boosts the overall workforce skills and performance that affect business productivity. The incorporation of games in e-learning enables employees to play not merely to win, but also to learn and achieve goals. For instance, learners thrive on intrinsic motivational factors which give them some sense of achievement on reaching the next level or completing a specific task.
In today’s digital world, game-based learning is impactful in a way it boosts overall learner engagement and knowledge retention. Games motivate learners to play as a team and interact with their peers.
- Games in e-learning are aligned as per the different audience profiles and needs. These comprise of different levels and challenges, followed by giving rewards and badges to motivate the learners to achieve more and perform better.
- Games also embed quizzes on relevant topics where a player is challenged to perform an activity. In addition to developing interest and experiencing some sense of achievement, learners eventually hone their skills in the modern workplace environment.
- Learners easily interact in a game-like competitive environment which boosts their overall levels of participation and collaboration. As a result, learners open with other groups which fail to do in classroom-based instruction.
- Games motivate the learners to engage more when they see their peers perform well and gain recognition for their efforts. The game-based approach is different from other learning activities as it is fun-filled, making even reluctant learners participate will full enthusiasm.
Learning through games imparts a plethora of ways to enrich the overall training experience. There are five primary reasons why a majority of organizations choose game-based learning approach. These include:
1. Games boost learner engagement
The more the learners engage with training content, the better they perform. E-learning games help to bridge the gaps between learners’ skills and different challenges posed during the game. Besides, learners also earn rewards and badges on completing a quiz or a course, which act as milestones to reinforce overall experiences. Another way to boost interest is by taking the learners one level up on achieving good scores on the leaderboard.
2. Impart a safe environment
The biggest threat associated with workplace training is the risk of making mistakes while learning. So, games play a significant role. Simulation-based video games are created to help learners set targets, face challenges, earn grades, and perform better. Consequently, participants overcome the fear of failure by practicing in a risk-free environment which leads to increased levels of engagement and knowledge retention.
3. An extraordinary learning strategy
Companies from diverse industry verticals adopt game-based learning strategy- leading to increased workforce engagement, better performance, higher knowledge retention, and high level of confidence among employees. Immediate feedback enables learners to measure their performance and remain active during the entire training program. Also, incremental challenges are incorporated with games to motivate learners to enhance their skills and track their progress through the training module. As the challenges are level-based, learners can easily track their progress through the entire course.
4. Apply what you learn
Serious games are associated with educational theories based on critical decision-making and knowledge sharing. When games replicate the real-life workplace scenarios through a series of levels, challenges, and quizzes; these allow the participants to apply what they have learned. Games also replicate real-life situations which require necessary action from the learners, which boosts their overall knowledge competency with enriched training experience.
The overall impact of game-based learning contributes towards an increasing role of other motivational factors in the form of badges and rewards to recreate the learning experience. Games create an immersive environment where learners enhance their problem-solving skills, learn through practice, and engage in a filled-filled experience. As per the study by Gartner, the game-based learning market is expected to reach $11 billion globally by 2020.
Technological development is one of the key reasons contributing to innovation in digital learning. Most of the organizations are investing in game-based learning solutions to stay ahead of the curve. At G-Cube, we strongly believe in adopting a game-based approach for corporate training based on the pertinent needs of our clients from diverse industries. For instance, we created an innovative game-based solution for the BFSI client to train the new hires. We introduced new themes and fantasies to engage learners and boost their retention level. To know more about your e-learning services for other domains, write to us at in**@gc**********.net.
Suggested Further Reading: Game-based Learning and Gamification by Michele Israel