Lynne Millward, in his best-selling book “Understanding Occupational & Organizational Psychology,” empirically explains that any information can be comprehended effectively if it is presented in the form of nuggets. This is true if one objectively analyses the learning behaviour of an employee and its positive correlation with learning strategies and content. The success of any corporate training is measured by high knowledge acquisition and retention rates. So, the questions emerge -How can an organization impart training to the modern-day workforce, with dwindling attention spans and busy schedules? Most importantly, how can we create a short burst of training, but with a greater impact? One effective strategy is to divide large content into smaller nuggets of information, which enables employees to learn as they desire. This is the essence of Microlearning.
What Is Microlearning And How To Implement It In Corporate Training?
Microlearning works by breaking down the training content into focused and specific content, which ensures better knowledge acquisition and retention. Employers can implement microlearning in corporate training and learning strategy, and since it is compatible with mobile learning, it enables employees to access training course material while on the move. Read on to find out how you can implement this brilliant eLearning solution.
- Develop Your Training Goals – Identifying an organization’s goals will help chart out a growth plan. This will then align training objectives and needs. A robust training plan can then be built. Identifying employees’ existing skillsets and skill gaps will further help plan training modules to bridge the gaps. When the development of training goals is done right, microlearning will aid in the transference of necessary skill knowledge through engaging and personalized content.
- Create Learner-centric training lessons – Microlearning operates on the concept of personalization. It is a good idea to be aware of your employee’s learning style. This will help you to create microlearning lessons that are aligned with the way they acquire knowledge and retain it and the tools which can strengthen the learning process. This will help the learners to utilize the training material in their respective jobs, effectively and immediately.
- Evaluate Your Design Options – Microlearning thrives best when it has interactive rich media for the learners to use. AR/VR simulations, use of animation, fun presentations, audio/video files, etc., can make the short training modules more engaging. For example, employees can practice skill-based training in a virtual environment before putting it to test in a real-life work scenario.
- Make It Easily Accessible – By making training available on mobile devices, learners will have the liberty to undergo the training process, from anywhere and at any time. Robust LMSs can make available relevant content to learners, online and offline, across all devices. This also makes information immediately available, when required, enabling on-the-job learning.
- Evaluate Learning Outcomes – It is necessary to evaluate your employees learning outcome, send feedback, re-assign the training if learning goals aren’t achieved, and finally re-evaluate your microlearning to ensure that it achieves the training goals.
Microlearning is taking small steps to win big! It helps to deliver content that is more learner-centric and customized as per job role, skills, department, work profile, and delivery methods. If learning is personalized, it ensures employee attention is focused on the expertise required to get the job done. The corporate workforce prefers microlearning as it is more interactive, fun, and an effective way to learn.